11/24/09

Caricature - Cassie

Josephine, Estella's younger, more timid sister. She tends not to break hearts as often as Estella, and has a secret infatuation with Pip; he is, however, oblivious to this fact. Point of view of Pip.

At the appointed time I returned to Miss Havisham's. I had expected my ring at the gate to bring out Estella, but this time I encountered nothing such. I again rang the bell, but again the household took no notice of me.

I was about to take my leave when a stranger girl walked hurriedly up to the gate to admit me. She was small, and came no higher than my shoulder. She held herself as if she was watched contemptuously by another. She looked around as if this other would abruptly come from no-where, to yell, or shout, or scold.

She hastily admitted me, analyzing me between glancing about.

"Miss Havisham has sent for me, Miss", I assured the girl. She stood looking at me, and, of course, I stood looking at her.

"I am sure", she returned. "If you would follow me, Mr. Pip."

I followed. "If I could ask where Miss Estella is presently?"

The girl stopped before me. Presently her eyes filled with both anguish and alarm.

"You there, little wretch! Who gave you leave to prowl about?" screeched Estella behind me as she took hold of my arm.

I turned, in her direction; she held me for a moment still before releasing me. "She did... Miss --"; I turned again to the direction of the stranger girl, who had by now taken leave.

"Never mind", said she, condescendingly. "You are to come this way to-day."

No comments:

Post a Comment